There is nothing like a good burger, especially when it’s homemade. I like to know what ingredients are in my food and I like my meat nice and lean. There is nothing more repulsive that a grisly steak or a chewy fatty sausage. Please don’t misunderstand me- I LOVE beef mince and duck and bacon, but not if it is dripping with fat. Have you ever felt like you are wearing vaseline after eating meat? That is gross. Turkey mince is a great substitute for beef and it’s extremely lean. You don’t have to sacrifice flavour when munching on these juicy patties. They are packed with flavour from fragrant coriander, hot red chilli, and a few other herbs and spices. This week, I served mine with some low-sugar slaw because I was feeling lazy. But I would highly recommend serving these with avocado and a homemade mango pico de gallo or some cumin sweet potato fries. Wow, I’m salivating as I write this! Happy cooking and happy hump day.
- 500g lean Turkey Breast Mince
- a handful of chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp of ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp of ground Coriander
- 1 tbsp of Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Red Chilli (diced)
- 1 medium Egg
- 1/2 a Red Onion (diced)
- Salt and Pepper
- Coconut Oil (for cooking)
Method (makes approximately 6-7 small patties):
- Place the turkey mince in a bowl.
- Add the egg, onion, chilli and coriander and mix it up with a fork!
- Add the spices and stir it up until the mixture is covered.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a frying pan or griddle on a medium heat.
- Get your hands dirty and form approximately six or seven patties from the mixture.
- Cook those burgers for approximately 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked all the way through.
- Serve with whatever topping your heart desires!
*I recognise that the photos in this post are not high quality! Please rest assured that future recipe photos will be a lot better. Thanks!