White or green cabbage, carrots, chilli flakes and a few other ingredients make one delicious mayo-free slaw.
Those of you who have been following me for a while now will know that I am very “passionate” about vegetables. I try and get raw veggies into my meals whenever, and wherever, is possible. Raw veggies are packed with vitamins and fibre. One of my pet peeves is over-boiled veggies because you lose so many nutrients by cooking them that way! Roasted veggies are great in the winter time, but if you’re pouring oils over them to roast them, you are ruining them.
Even I, lover of green food, cannot eat just plain raw carrots or plain raw cabbage. But when you mix a bunch of veggies together with a light oil and vinegar dressing, magic happens. This is basically a coleslaw without the mayo, refined sugars, and all the other added rubbish. The beauty of this slaw is that you can eat it with pretty much anything. Throw it in with your salad, have it as a side dish with chicken or fish, or even have some with your eggs in the morning.
- 1/2 a head of White or Green Cabbage
- 3 medium Carrots
- 2 tbsp of Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp of Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp of Organic Honey
- Salt and Pepper
- Finely chop the cabbage and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the carrots and add to the bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and the spices.
- Stir well with a fork.
- Separate into tupperware containers, refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
Tip: The reason for overnight refrigeration is that the acidity of the cider vinegar actually breaks down the cabbage so that it is easier to digest and isn’t so harsh on the gut.