When I was younger, and less-informed about health and nutrition, I used to drink those Naked smoothies and Innocent smoothies, and even tried using them as meal replacements. Needless to say, the crashes were intense and I became very frustrated as I found myself feeling light-headed, grumpy, and starving only a couple of hours afterwards. Why was this happening? Because most fruit smoothies are absolutely rammed full with sugar. Yes, the sugars may be ‘naturally occurring’ but they are still sugars! What happens when we eat sugar? Our blood glucose levels spike and our body uses that energy very quickly, and then craves more of it. Stop believing that these smoothies are “healthy” and are an acceptable snack or beverage.
Maybe if you have just run a marathon, you need one of these to replenish your depleted, exhausted, drained body. If you are a normal person looking for a healthy drink or shake, try my version instead! The only sugars in this are from the berries, which are actually lower in sugar than most fruits. But thanks to the sucrose (a sweetener that your body does not actually absorb) in the protein powder, this smoothie is sweet enough. The greek yoghurt adds creaminess without any fat. But this isn’t fat-free as there are healthy fats from the added seeds, which also help slow the absorption of sugars and aid with digestion.
This is my favourite recovery smoothie and I hope you try it! Get yourself a Kenwood smoothie maker and start experimenting with your own recipes. Or if you can’t be bothered coming up with your own, follow me on Facebook and Instagram and I will share all of mine with you. Happy smoothie making!
- 50g Frozen Blueberries (or raspberries)
- a handful of fresh Spinach
- 1 tbsp Linwood’s Flaxseed
- 1 tsp of Chia Seeds
- 100g Total 0% Greek Yoghurt
- 1 scoop of Diet Whey White Chocolate (or Vanilla Creme)
- 1/2 a cup of Alpro Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Place the berries in the blender and pour a little hot water over them to thaw them out.
- Add the spinach, flaxseed, chia seeds, protein powder and greek yoghurt, in that order.
- Add the almond milk.
- Blend and drink it up immediately (before your roommate or other half gets their hands on it)!
Tip: If it’s too thick, add a little water or more almond milk until you reach your desired consistency!