This is hands-down my favourite weekend evening snack. The only problem is that I could literally sit and plough my way through the entire bowl. You will never buy Guacamole in a box or a tub or a packet ever again! This is my party trick, my cinco de mayo joy and a recipe that I have selfishly kept to myself for too long. But I am doing this for YOU so that you too can enjoy authentic, fresh, Mexican guacamole. So, next time you fancy some fajitas or are craving a bowl of nachos, top it with lots of this stuff instead of cheese and sour cream. Also, this recipe (excluding the avocado) is also exactly what I would use to make fresh salsa, or ‘Pico De Gallo.’ STOP buying salsa in a jar; it’s probably full of refined sugar. Make your own! The lime juice sweetens it just enough. Now, let’s get down to business…
1 Large Hass Avocado (or 2 small regular avocados)
1 lg. Red Chilli
1/2 Red Onion
3-4 medium Tomatoes
1/2 a lime
Bunched Coriander (or Cilantro)
- Mash up the avocado in a bowl with a fork. Come on, put your back into it and get that avocado mashed up nice and good! It helps the consistency if you squeeze the juice from that half lime in there. Add a pinch of salt at this point too. It should be a little chunky but overall, pretty smooth like the consistency you would expect from a guacamole dip.
- Dice the red onion, tomatoes and the chilli and throw that all in there. Mix it up again!
- Chop up a handful of fresh coriander (or cilantro for the American readers). Throw that in and mix it up once more.
- Now, taste it and see if it needs more salt. If so, add more. If not, cover it with cling film and leave it for 20 minutes. This allows all the flavours to blend and when you return to this bowl of deliciousness, you may dig in with whatever dipping tool you wish!
- Serve with tortilla chips, carrot sticks, celery, rice cakes, snap peas, or whatever you prefer. Enjoy!