YUM. This week’s mid-week recipe share is one that I only recently came up with. I was shopping in M&S when I came across a ‘Green Slaw’ and it only had 2 or 3 ingredients. I thought to myself, “I can make this even greener, and even healthier.” And that is how this amazing superfood green salad happened!
- 1 Broccoli Stalk
- 1 Courgette
- 1 cup of raw Spinach
- 1 cup of raw Green and White Cabbage
- 1 cup of raw Kale
- 20 Sugarsnap Peas
- 20 trimmed Green Beans
- 1 stalk of Celery
- 1/2 of a Lemon
- 1 tsp of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- 100g Edamame Beans (Optional)
- Grate the broccoli stalk on the fine side of the grater into a large bowl.
- Chop up the courgette into cubes and add to the grated broccoli.
- Finely chop the spinach, cabbage and kale and add to the mixture.
- Roughly chop the sugarsnap peas and green beans and add to the mixture.
- Chop the celery stalk and add.
- Mix all of the ingredients and toss it all up!
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the mixture, add the cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
This salad is super simple and so much more nutritious than the ‘mixed salad’ bowls sold in most supermarket stores. Iceberg lettuce has zero nutritional content. In fact, it’s mostly water! This salad is rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, fibre and so much more. Top it with tuna, chicken, turkey or even some ham and a boiled egg. If you don’t eat meat, then throw in those edamame beans, chickpeas, and pumpkin seeds or even some quinoa or peanuts. Just make sure you have a source of protein in there. If you can’t eat your salad without a dressing, make your own dressing with organic apple cider vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, organic honey and soy sauce.
If you are meal-prepping for the whole week, just double, triple, or quadruple the quantities! You can eat as much of this salad as you like, as there is truly nothing bad about it. Green food galore. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!